5 Foods and Objects You Should Never Put in the Microwave

Exploding , boiling water mishaps, and dangerous containers are just some of the potential hazards you need to be aware of when using a microwave. While this appliance is a convenient tool for heating up food, it is important to know which items are not microwave-friendly. In this article, we will explore some common foods and objects that you should avoid putting in the microwave to prevent accidents and ensure your safety.


Have you ever thought about heating up an egg in the microwave? Well, think again. Whether it is shelled or unshelled, microwaving an egg will cause it to explode. Not only will this create a mess in your microwave and , but it can also pose a burn risk. However, if you slice the egg into quarters, it is safe to heat up in the microwave.


If you're in a rush and don't want to wait for water to boil in a kettle, you might be tempted to heat it up in the microwave. But beware, this can lead to yet another explosion. Heating water in the microwave can cause it to become superheated, which means it can reach a temperature above its boiling point without any signs of boiling. When the water is disturbed or a foreign object is introduced (like a spoon), it can quickly boil, resulting in splashing and potential burns. Avoid this risk by sticking to your trusty kettle for boiling water.

See also  Never Have a Bursting Eggshell Again: Grandma's Genius Trick Revealed

Chili peppers

If you enjoy adding a kick of spiciness to your dishes, be cautious when it comes to microwaving chili peppers. When these peppers are heated, the capsaicin, which is responsible for their spiciness, vaporizes into the air. Opening the microwave releases this hot, spicy air, which can irritate your nose, eyes, and throat. To prevent this discomfort, it is advisable to fry or grill peppers instead of using the microwave.

Takeaway containers

Leftovers stored in polystyrene packaging or containers with handles should be transferred to a microwave-safe dish before reheating. Heating up polystyrene can release harmful chemicals into your food, posing a health risk. Containers with handles are often made of metals that can cause sparks and potentially start a fire in the microwave. To ensure your safety, always check if your container is microwave-safe by looking for the designated symbol or information on the packaging.

Avoid running the microwave empty

One important rule to remember is to never start the microwave without any food inside. Operating the microwave with no food can lead to a fire or cause damage to your appliance. When there is no food to absorb the microwave radiation, it can bounce back into the magnetron, the part responsible for generating the microwaves, leading to overheating and potential malfunctions. Always make sure your microwave is filled with food or a microwave-safe container before turning it on.

As much as we appreciate the convenience of microwaves, it is vital to use them safely. By avoiding these microwave-incompatible items and following the recommended guidelines, you can prevent accidents, protect yourself, and ensure your microwave remains a useful kitchen tool.

Rate this post

Leave a Comment